For the Love of Hummingbirds

Saturday, May 8, 2010

I have been doing some research on hummingbirds because this year, I really, really want them to feed out of my hand. I think they are one of the most amazing creatures on this earth! When I was hmmm, shall we say, to be nice, unable to do anything last summer due to Mama Nature's wrath on me- those little hummingbirds made my day. They are so fragile, yet so very strong!
Believe it or not, last year was the first time I saw one, a real one, and not on film or a picture...the beautiful thing was, when I saw one, so did my daughter...in another state but at the same exact moment! We were trying to call each other to tell each other- and when we finally got ahold of one another (it was busy forever on both ends) we were both so excited! My little hummingbird was attracted to a banner I had in my window of a magenta flower and was RIGHT there in my face. Just a window between us- the colors were amazing, and it just took my breath away. My daughter, on the other end of the phone and miles away was saying the same thing and although the colors were different, we were seeing the same thing- beauty!

I am just mesmerized by their color and beauty! Oh...and if you are standing outside and they buzz by, it does sound like a bee, and they will brush by your hair- just like an angel wing...yeah, I sure do love my hummingbirds!
 OK...if I haven't bored you by now- I found this!
Hummingbird Migration Map (and a whole lot more!) There are many, many things on this site, more of which I am sure I will post throughout the birding season. This just shows how they are migrating, and if you are so inclined, goes into depth about hummingbirds, how to attract, etc... Enjoy!

0 comments: